Auto-create nested lists from folder structure on harddrive

I know this has been suggested already a while back but now that you have PDF-support (which is SO great) it’d be great if you could implement the option to auto-create nested lists based on the folder structure where photos are stored (like Lightroom or other image managing softwares do). I’ve replicated the archive’s structure on my harddrive and would love to keep that organizational principle (as I know many other scholars do) in Tropy, added by tags etc.

This really would make an invaluable tool even more invaluable! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the great work you’re putting into this, I am constantly spreading the word!

1 Like

I can’t make any promises, but we have some improvements to import planned for the next release, so maybe we can tackle this while we’re at it; we’ll track this feature idea here.

That sounds awesome, thanks so much!

I wanted to revive this request. I have over 15,000 images and pdfs in hundreds of nested folders. I would like to import them all into Tropy, creating a list structure as they import that mirrors the folder structure. Doing this manually is not feasible.

A similar export feature would also be helpful. (Export selected lists to a folder structure that mirrors the list structure.) The export should also include notes in Markdown or PDF.

Tropy now allows plugins to hook also into the import process, so we could revisit this idea as plugin for both export and import. (Import does not add missing lists currently, but that’s something we could add.)

Is there an update about this feature?
Pre-existing research is unusable without this feature at the moment.
It’s also important for future-proofing the lists.