Cannot launch Tropy

On Windows 10 your ‘Documents’ folder, by default would be at C:\\Users\harap\Documents; we’ve already established that the folder isn’t there on your system – this is either because you deleted or moved the folder. You do have a folder called C:\\My Documents but this folder is not registered as your ‘Documents’ folder apparently so it’s not clear to me what its purpose is. Perhaps this was your Documents folder originally, but you moved it out from your user profile? Your system either does not have a Documents folder configured or it may actually be set to your D:\\ drive (if I interpret one of your screenshots above correctly that the Documents shortcut tried to open that path).

But be that as it may, the easiest solution is to reset the Document folder to its default location as per the steps above.

As I said, the MY Documents folder isn’t there any more. It was a week ago when I made the screenshot to illustrate the “read-only” info box. Now I cannot even see the My Documents folder, I have not moved or deleted anything. See screenshot. How can I restore default (and I assume it’s only default for Documents, not other things, right?) when I can’t even find the folder?

Intropy

As for the D:, which is listed in this next screenshot as a “system folder,” when I click on it, a green “manage” button pops up, but nothing happens, not when I click the manage button, either. Now my mouse is not working–neither to advance the screen nor to click on anything. No cursor!
The “enter” key works, and thanks to my touch-screen, I can activate the reply button. Do you have any idea about what to do, given there’s no Documents file/folder and no D:\ path operative. (I’d assumed the D:\ was for my flash drives, which I use a lot.

The D:\ drive location is for removable drives, as screenshot shows. (Cursor is back working again–unplugged mouse & re-inserted). I’m beginning to wonder if I just have a defective machine? I also find, If Im not typing fast and without stopping, the cursor jumps back up to a line or two above. Infuriating!

I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but please try restoring the default Documents folder (also see Microsoft’s description at the bottom here).

Inukshuk, I replied to you on this forum yesterday–here, not from my email, and it was not supernumerary, as your system will not permit that, as I already found out. That reply came back to me as “no reply,” which should not have happened. I had sent you a screenshot showing that the HKEY_CURRENT_USERS… command does not work. System cannot open this location. Im on a different device right now and can’t access the screenshot, but if you want to see it I can send it. There’s no way to progress beyond this point if the first step stipulated by you/Microsoft fails.
Intropy

What is this first step that fails? It sounds like you were trying to open the a registry key in the file explorer (which can’t work) or perhaps you looked up the value of the key in the registry and tried to open that? This would normally work, but won’t work in your case because this is the issue at hand.

In any case, over the last couple of posts I’ve been trying to understand if you tried restoring the Documents path at its default location; I’ll quote the steps here for the third time:

In some of your screenshots I see the Properties window for the ‘Desktop’ folder; I suspect that’s when you attempted to follow these steps, but that’s not the right folder. You need to open the Properties for the ‘Documents’ folder. It’s a problem that the links to the Documents folder seem to have been deleted on your system for whatever reason; still, I think there is a chance that you can find it there in the context menu of the File Explorer as explained above. If it’s not there the only way to restore the path that I can think of is to change the values in the Registry directly as explained in Microsoft’s documentation.