Can't import photos :-(

I moved my tropy file to google drive, in order to be able to access it both with my laptop and my desktop. I think I moved the file when tropy was open. I try to import photos and get an Failed to import item message: SQLITE_CORRUPT: vtable constructor failed: fts_metadata

This is the main log:

{“level”:“info”,“message”:“logger initialized at level verbose”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-12-27T19:29:50.431Z”}
{“system”:“Darwin 17.7.0 (x64)”,“level”:“info”,“message”:“starting 1.3.2”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-12-27T19:29:50.434Z”}
{“level”:“verbose”,“message”:“started in production mode”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-12-27T19:29:50.434Z”}
{“level”:“verbose”,“message”:“using /Users/ambrodsky/Library/Application Support/Tropy”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-12-27T19:29:50.434Z”}
{“level”:“verbose”,“message”:“plugins scanned: 0”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-12-27T19:29:51.534Z”}
{“level”:“verbose”,“message”:“app state restored”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-12-27T19:29:51.536Z”}
{“level”:“info”,“message”:“ready after 1380ms”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-12-27T19:29:51.577Z”}
{“level”:“verbose”,“message”:“checking for updates…”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-12-27T19:29:51.858Z”}
{“level”:“verbose”,“message”:“plugins scanned: 0”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-12-27T19:29:51.972Z”}
{“stack”:“Error: Cannot update while running on a read-only volume. The application is on a read-only volume. Please move the application and try again. If you’re on macOS Sierra or later, you’ll need to move the application out of the Downloads directory. See https://github.com/Squirrel/Squirrel.Mac/issues/182 for more information.”,“level”:“warn”,“message”:“Failed to fetch update: Cannot update while running on a read-only volume. The application is on a read-only volume. Please move the application and try again. If you’re on macOS Sierra or later, you’ll need to move the application out of the Downloads directory. See https://github.com/Squirrel/Squirrel.Mac/issues/182 for more information.”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-12-27T19:29:53.117Z”}
{“level”:“verbose”,“message”:“opening /Volumes/GoogleDrive/My Drive/Tropy/Zionist Youth.tpy…”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-12-27T19:31:03.486Z”}

It looks like your project file was corrupted. Could you send me the file by posting it here or as a private message to me? (Or by mail at sylvester.keil@gmail.com) – I’ll see if I can fix the file.

Hello!

So, before moving the file to google drive (so I could use it on my desktop, which has a much more comfortable screen), I of course saved a copy on my laptop. I can still work on it on my laptop. I have now deleted the google drive file, and have used the original file on my laptop to work. So, I still have an uncorrupted file.

I just want to be able to move the file to a place where I will be able to work on it from two different computers. My photos are on an external drive, and I know very little about how to make sure the paths to the photos are the same (if I am able to move the file to google drive). I’ve been working on my laptop for about 4.5 months (was on sabbatical out of the country), but would prefer to use my desktop since the screen is much more comfortable. Is there a way you could walk me through the process of moving the file to google drive AND making sure the paths work?

thanks so much for your help!!

1 Like

Would you like to move your project to your desktop and continue working on it there exclusively, or would you like to work on the project on both your laptop and desktop computers going forward?

Either way, I’m happy to help you set this up. Can you tell me which operating systems you’re using on both computers? Also, could you tell me the path where your photos are stored currently, and the path where you would like to save your project on Google Drive? (You can also send me the project to my address above, then I can extract most of this information from the file.) Will you keep your photos on the external hard disk, or would you like to move the photos to Google Drive as well?

Hello!

Here is the copy of Tropy from the laptop, which should show the current paths; I would prefer to be able to work from both laptop and desktop, since I will be traveling again for research in the future and will bring my laptop. I will move the photos to google drive too, so it will be easy to have everything in the same place.

On the laptop (which belongs to the University, and they push the updates they want), I have Sierra 10.12.6
On the desktop, I have Sierra 10.13.6, but apple is pushing for an update to Mojave (should I do it?)

I have sent the project to your email address (this is the copy I have on my laptop currently)

Thanks!!

Thank you!

I just sent you directions using your actual paths by mail. In general terms, to move your project via Google Drive I would suggest to:

1. Make a backup copy of your project
  2. Move the project file to the folder where your photos are stored (on the external disk)
  3. Start Tropy and open the project file at the new location (Ctrl+O and select the copy of the project file on the external disk)
  4. Enable developer mode in the preferences
  5. Close the preferences window
  6. In the project window, select Developer -> Rebase project from the menu
  7. Disable developer mode again and close Tropy

You can then copy the folder containing your project file and the photos to your Google Drive, download it on your other computer and open it in Tropy there.