Error Reporting

Popped up while moving between photos within an item. Using Tropy 1.8.2 on macOS 11.1.

{“msg”:“unhandled error: Cannot read property ‘0’ of null”,“stack”:“TypeError: Cannot read property ‘0’ of null\n at Photo.get adjust [as adjust] (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:59795:27)\n at Photo.brightness (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:59906:12)\n at Photo.filter (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:59890:10)\n at Tween._onUpdateCallback (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:60485:15)\n at Tween.update (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:59204:12)\n at Group.update (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:58723:28)\n at TickerListener.update [as fn] (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:60359:17)\n at TickerListener.emit (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:4191:14)\n at Ticker.update (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:4727:29)\n at Ticker._tick (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:4428:15)”,“system”:“Darwin 20.2.0 (x64)”,“time”:1610378545935,“version”:“1.8.2”}

When I go back to the list view and click on any item, it comes up with another error, and I cannot move about within in the image or the item. The image stays stuck in one location.

Thanks, we’ll take a look!

Does the error persist or go away if you open the project again? If it does go away, do you by any chance remember if you did anything with the item prior to opening it (i.e., merged or imported photos, edited metadata, etc.)?

It did go away after I quit the program and re-opened it. It occurred shortly after I imported the photos, yes.

I had another, more disruptive error that happened shortly before this, but I couldn’t copy the error code because I had to force quit and re-open. That time, I dragged a number of photos (around 140 or so) from the Finder to the Tropy dock icon to import them (my usual method). After importing a few photos, it came up with a stack of error alert boxes and the program locked up. Then I forced quit. Sorry but I don’t have the error codes, and i’m not sure you can find that in the logs still.

Speaking of which, in the early days of Tropy, I would drag items from the Finder onto the dock icon to import, and it would import them as a group. Now when I do that, it does each item individually. So if I import a number of items that way, if I click on ‘Last Import’, it just displays the last photo imported and nothing else. I can still sort all photos by Date Added and see the last import group, but this is a bit irritating and I’d appreciate a fix if you could!

Many thanks for your efforts

Thanks, I opened an issue to track the import via dock icon issue.

Regarding the error on import, were you able to import the files afterwards? An error during import generally means that there is an issue with individual files or formats, so I’d be curious to know if that was the case.

Yes, I was able to import the files afterwards. That time I used the File > Import… method in the menu bar.

Thanks for looking into the import via dock icon issue.

More errors as I am going through images within an item. I have not imported any new photos today

{“msg”:“unhandled error: Cannot read property ‘0’ of null”,“stack”:“TypeError: Cannot read property ‘0’ of null\n at Photo.get adjust [as adjust] (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:59795:27)\n at Photo.brightness (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:59906:12)\n at Photo.filter (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:59890:10)\n at Tween._onUpdateCallback (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:60485:15)\n at Tween.update (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:59204:12)\n at Group.update (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:58723:28)\n at TickerListener.update [as fn] (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:60359:17)\n at TickerListener.emit (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:4191:14)\n at Ticker.update (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:4727:29)\n at Ticker._tick (/Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/project-b69013ac.js:4428:15)”,“system”:“Darwin 20.2.0 (x64)”,“time”:1610455064913,“version”:“1.8.2”}

After this comes up once, I cannot open any other item without it coming up again. Can’t interact with the photos at all once i click ‘Dismiss’ on the pop up.

I don’t think this is related to importing. I suspect there’s an error in one of the actions you access before this error appears. If you notice anything that reliably causes please let us know!

Just to let you know, all the errors when switching photos should be fixed in the upcoming 1.9 release.

I just had a look at this one and we receive the files individually by macOS. That is to say, Tropy’s handling of this has not changed; it’s possible that macOS has changed how the dock sends these events. We won’t be addressing this for now – to import all the files together, please drop them in the Tropy window instead.

1 Like

Ok great, thanks. I look forward to the 1.9 release version!

I will be emailing you later about another problem. I can’t attach the evidence here.

congratulations on the 1.9 release! it seems to be working well. I’m no longer experiencing the problems we discussed.

however, I noticed that whenever I press the forward slash key ( / ) in a note, nothing happens. It works within metadata. It also works if I push shift or option in addition to the / key. strange.

I also noticed it was doing this in the previous version a couple days ago. I thought it was a problem with my keyboard, but I now realized it’s not, as it works fine within other applications.

Good catch, thanks! This is almost certainly the / being used as a global shortcut to activate the search box in combination with the notepad editor not signaling that it can ‘handle’ the key itself. Should be an easy fix!

Regarding the dropped-on-Dock files issue, I have no idea whether this is related, but I was reminded today when working on an AppleScript, that the same problem exists when I try to drop a group of files that contains an HEIC file on what we used to call a droplet. The AS handler separates that file out of the group and creates two groups. Not good.

I had forgotten that I had run into this problem before. The solution in AS is to avoid the usual

repeat with f in filelist

and use this workaround:

property fileList : {}

on open dropped_files
	set fileList to fileList & dropped_files
end open

on quit
    blah blah blah
    set fileList to {}
end quit