Horizontal photos renamed "fullsizeoutput"

When importing from iPhoto, any photograph taken horizontally is getting renamed with the naming convention “fullsizeoutput.” This is making it extremely difficult to organize and group photos once they’ve been imported. Is there a way to work around this?

Just to be sure, are you importing from iPhoto or from its successor Apple Photos? And how are you importing the photos?

The title is currently inferred from the basename of the imported file; so unless all the files are called fullsizeoutput.jpg or similar this should not happen. My guess is this has to do with the way the photos are exported from Photos – if you tell us the exact version and procedure, we’ll take a look to see what we can do about it.

Oops, yes, I’m importing from Apple Photos rather than iPhoto. I’m importing via File > Import Photos (I’ve tried to drag and drop photos in, but this doesn’t work).

After some testing, we’ve figured out what’s going on here, we think. I’m making one major assumption, which is that your photos that are landscape weren’t actually taken that way, though–you’ve rotated them once they’re in Photos. If that isn’t the case, then we’re still in the dark.

So there are two ways to solve this problem.

1. You can put your photos in Photos back to their original orientation before importing them into Tropy. Because of the way Apple’s system works, it saves edits in Photos in a way that gives them a different name (the “fullsizeoutput” name). But if the photo is in its original orientation, you should be able to import into Tropy without difficulty in the way you have been, retaining the original filenames, and then you can rotate your photos in Tropy.

2. You can export your photos in their current rotation out of Photos before you import them into Tropy. In other words, if you export photos to, say, your desktop, and then bring the desktop version into Tropy, your file names should be retained. The drawback to this approach is that Tropy is now connected to the desktop version, not your Photos version, so you now have two copies of the same photos.

Apple’s photo system, unfortunately, doesn’t play nice with other software sometimes. This is one of those times. The good news is that this problem is fixable, though. Let us know if this solution doesn’t work.

I’m not completely sure that I did rotate the photos in Photos, but that does seem the most likely explanation. My phone also has a way of automatically rotating photos (in the wrong direction, of course…) right when I take them, which may explain the problem as well. I will give the re-rotation suggestion a shot.