How to connecte two pictures - or "is related to" metadata

Hello, sorry for the question that can be naive but I could not find any explanation for this.

I am creating a database of photos that comes from an archive. In the database there are often various photos of the same person. They can be from different years or places, and always from different records.

Not knowing how to connect them, I have added in my metadata the “is related to” vocabulary, but I am not sure how it works.

If “is related to” is not the right tool, how to link directly two or more photos ? The “tag” is not the right tool, because the items are often too similar, and also the “list” tool, because otherwise I will end up with hundreds of lists, but I am not sure how to do it.

Thanks for the help, and Tropy is terrific!

I have the same issue, thanks for raising.

Hi,

At the moment, there’s no formal way to link two items. I think “is related to” should work if you name your items something unique enough that they can be identified there. You could put the related item’s title (or other identifier) in the “is related to” field.

This raises some interesting questions for us going forward–thanks for asking! We may have a better way to link items in the future.

Thank you for clarifying!
Yes, I think it can be an important feature to add, as it is very frequent in archive to have for instance two versions of the same document, of the same picture, and so on. It would be wonderful to have a way to connect one item to the other.
Keep up with the good work!

1 Like

I’m a new user, so forgive me if this question is atrociously stupid:

Like elenavezz, I have been looking for a way to link two related items. I wondered if the “Relation” field in “Tropy Generic” might provide a tool for doing this, but it doesn’t. (What is it for, actually?)

The larger goal here is to use Tropy as a collection management system suitable for cataloguing work by one or more artists.

Step one would be to create custom metadata templates, say one for “Works of Art,” a second for “Collections” and a third for “Reference Works.” Ideally, “Collection” and “Reference” fields in the first template could then be linked to the relevant items in those tables using “is related to.”

It should be possible to approximate this functionality using tags, by tagging each work with the appropriate collection and references. This would also permit a reverse search, ie. searching on a collection tag to get a list of works in that collection.

But it would be great if this functionality could be built into metadata fields.

Please let me know if there is already a way to do this.

Thanks!