Import Errors under Ubuntu 22.04 LTS x64

Normal 1.15.2 has these Errors:

When using drag n drop it crashes immediately with SQLITE_CANTOPEN: unable to open database file

When using import Tropy crashes after 5-20 files with "Unfortunately this Tropy window has crashed You can help by reporting this issue at GitHub - tropy/tropy: Research photo management

1.15.2 flatpak works better

When using drag n drop with folders (with images it crashes later) it crashes immediately with “SQLITE_CANTOPEN: unable to open database file”

When using import Tropy flatpak crashed after 900 files which is far more than the other version were able to import with “Unfortunately this Tropy window has crashed You can help by reporting this issue at GitHub - tropy/tropy: Research photo management

I have uploaded the logs since this otherwise exceeds the character limit
1.15.2 normal tropy log drag n drop.log (6.7 KB)
1.15.2 normal tropy log import.log (11.7 KB)
1.15.2 flatpak tropy log drag n drop.log (8.0 KB)
1.15.2 flatpak tropy log import.log (34.6 KB)

Thanks for reporting!

The ‘can’t open message’ is different from the other crashes: this means Tropy tried to open the file you dropped as a database. Are you dropping these files in the new project window perhaps?

Otherwise, for the tarball version we have this known import issue with the linked libraries on some Linux distros. This is probably what you’re seeing. The fix for this is to use the Flatpak version.

However, the crash in Flatpak is something new that we’ll have to investigate. It could be a memory-related bug when importing many images at once but it could also be caused by a specific image. Could you try importing the folder in smaller sets (e.g. 500 files at a time) to see if that goes through or if it fails for a specific file only?

The ‘can’t open message’ is different from the other crashes: this means Tropy tried to open the file you dropped as a database. Are you dropping these files in the new project window perhaps?

No I dropped them where they are supposed to, I have noticed that when importing with the import button tropy is rapidly creating and deleting files with the ending .tpy-journal maybe that also happens when with drag and drop and Tropy tried importing one of these temporary files?
The files I dragged and dropped were all .png .jpg or .pdf

However, the crash in Flatpak is something new that we’ll have to investigate. It could be a memory-related bug when importing many images at once but it could also be caused by a specific image. Could you try importing the folder in smaller sets (e.g. 500 files at a time) to see if that goes through or if it fails for a specific file only?

It seems to be the amount, when importing in multiple installments it works

The temporary journal files are created when Tropy writes to the .tpy file, it’s normal that these get created during an import.

When importing from a folder, Tropy will only add files with known image extensions. The can’t open error really means that Tropy was trying to open a project, not import photos. Normally I would expect this to only happen if you dropped on the new project window, not a project window. However, there are some limitations to what we know while dragging (before actually dropping the files/folders) so we make some guesses based on file names. I don’t think it should make a difference, but did you, by any chance, drop a folder whose name ends with ‘.tpy’ or ‘.tropy’?

I don’t think it should make a difference, but did you, by any chance, drop a folder whose name ends with ‘.tpy’ or ‘.tropy’?

I did not, I have checked now again with Windows Server 2022 and it happens with folders, just any folder, if I drag the file it works, if I put the same file in a folder it crashes.

I have uploaded a video that clarifies this, rename it to .mkv since I had to use .log to upload it.

Same on 1.1.6

2024-02-22 15-02-27.log (1.8 MB)

Thanks, we’ll look into it!

Meanwhile, you should be able to import the folder by selecting File > Import > Folder from the menu.