Installing Tropy on Archlinux

Hi, is there AUR pacakge for Tropy, I am trying to find documentations on installing Tropy to archlinux. Thanks.

There isn’t one yet, but since I’m on Arch myself, I already looked into this a little bit and we can definitely add an AUR package if there’s demand for this. Following the packaging guidelines for Electron apps I think the best approach would be to create an architecture-dependent built based on system electron and libvips.

In the meantime, the instructions in the INSTALL file should still apply for installing the tarball on Archlinux. Here is my current setup:

1. Unpack the tarball at /opt/tropy
  2. Add /opt/tropy to PATH
  3. cp -r /opt/tropy/icons ~/.local/share/ to install the icons
  4. cp -r /opt/tropy/mime ~/.local/share/ to register the mimetypes
  5. cp /opt/tropy/tropy.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/
  6. And update-desktop-database ~/.local/share/applications/

With this you should be able to launch Tropy via your app launcher or by typing tropy in the shell. And icons should show for the app as well as project and template files.

If you have libvips 8.10.x installed you can use that one by removing /opt/tropy/resources/app.asar.unpacked/lib/vendor. Like I said, we should be able to make the AUR package much smaller by removing this as well as electron and depending on the system libvips and electron11-bin package (or 12, for the upcoming release).

I just downloaded the appimage from Release Tropy 1.9.0 · tropy/tropy · GitHub

It works just fine on my arch setup (i3wm)…