Item-level notes

Hi,

I just downloaded Tropy and I found it to be very useful. That said, the lack of item-level notes is a real challenge. As a historian I work with documents that sometimes 50 pages long and I’d like to annotate or summarise them in one place. Now, in order to access and copy my summary, I have to go to 50 different notes - which defeats the purpose.

I saw this question has been raised in the past and you said that it could be addressed in future iterations. Is this something that will be integrated soon?

A million thanks, Hana

It’s on our roadmap, but I can’t say when it will be ready.

Can I ask you how you would expect to work with the item-level note? You want to select the note and then that note should always stay visible in the notepad no matter which photo is active, yes? To switch to a photo’s note (if any) you’d have to select it manually?

Thank you for your quick response and for all your support!

Yes, I imagined a single and fixed editing pane as I scroll through the images. If that’s not possible, it would be great if I can combine the notes on the different images into one note (rather than doing it manually).

It’s definitely useful for the annotated text to correspond to a specific image, and it would be great to retain image-specific-notes, what I find challenging is that these notes can’t be made or seen in continuous scroll. Does that make sense?

Thanks again!

Yes, it makes perfect sense. We’re aware of the need for item-level notes (or, alternatively, a single contiguous view of all an item’s notes) – we just try to collect more ideas or usage scenarios from interested users, because there are some tricky UI questions which come into play here. Thanks for your input!

Hi there, I just wanted to follow up on this conversation and say that it would be really useful to have the ability to create standalone notes, like in Zotero. I have a lot of archive photos from many different manuscript books. It would be really useful to be able to pin a summary note with information about the book and collection within the project itself, rather than keeping this information in Zotero and using both programs side-by-side.

We’re currently working item-level notes. They will go into one of the upcoming releases, once we’ve solved the remaining interface issues.