Linking to Files in a Note

I’m running version 1.16.0 on Windows. In this version, links to the following inside a note don’t work:
www.google.com
D:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\test1.txt
file:///D:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\test1.txt
file:///D:/Users/Daniel/Desktop/test1.txt

This is an example of an error message that I see:
{"msg":"unhandled error: failed to open /C:/Users/Daniel/AppData/Local/tropy/app-1.16.0/resources/app.asar/res/views/www.google.com: Failed to open path","stack":"Error: failed to open /C:/Users/Daniel/AppData/Local/tropy/app-1.16.0/resources/app.asar/res/views/www.google.com: Failed to open path\n at open (C:\\Users\\Daniel\\AppData\\Local\\tropy\\app-1.16.0\\resources\\app.asar\\lib\\browser\\main-DzzsdqxF.js:17175:20)\n at async IpcMainImpl.handler (C:\\Users\\Daniel\\AppData\\Local\\tropy\\app-1.16.0\\resources\\app.asar\\lib\\browser\\main-DzzsdqxF.js:17217:7)","system":"Windows_NT 10.0.22621 (x64)","time":1708740805891,"version":"1.16.0"}

But the following do work:
https://www.google.com
tropy://project/current/items/62334/62333

How can I create a link to D:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\test1.txt in this version?

Tropy hands off the URLs as is to the operating system, so right now there’s no special handling or interpretation going on. That’s why the URL needs to complete, e.g., ‘tropy.org’ will not work (it’s treated as file relative to where the Tropy window is started from), but ‘https://tropy.org’ does.

Similarly, ‘D:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\test.txt’ will not universally work. In fact, I was under the impression that some older versions of Windows would actually accept such a path, but using the file protocol scheme, that link should be written as ‘file:///D:/Users/Daniel/Desktop/test.txt’ although I think that ‘file:///D/Users/Daniel/Desktop/test.txt’ might also work (and I’ve also seen ‘file:///D|/Users/Daniel/Desktop/test.txt’.

It looks like you tried the first of these already: if that really does not work, can you post what the error message is in that case?

Since Tropy hands off these requests to the operating system, it’s important that the file protocol is handled as expected by your Windows. By default, Windows should open such URLs in Windows Explorer of course.

Using ‘file:///D:/Users/Daniel/Desktop/test.txt’, I receive this message:

{“msg”:“unhandled error: failed to open /D:/Users/Daniel/Desktop/test.txt: Failed to open path”,“stack”:“Error: failed to open /D:/Users/Daniel/Desktop/test.txt: Failed to open path\n at open (C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Local\tropy\app-1.16.0\resources\app.asar\lib\browser\main-DzzsdqxF.js:17175:20)\n at async IpcMainImpl.handler (C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Local\tropy\app-1.16.0\resources\app.asar\lib\browser\main-DzzsdqxF.js:17217:7)”,“system”:“Windows_NT 10.0.22631 (x64)”,“time”:1708965970583,“version”:“1.16.0”}

And here is proof that the file really does exist:

Hm, that URL looks good to me. I’ll look into if there’s anything we can do about it. Meanwhile, just to make sure, can you try to see if this command works at the prompt:

start file:///D:/Users/Daniel/Desktop/test.txt

It does work:

For what it’s worth, this issue started for me at some point this month (within the past week, I think, but definitely after Feb 1). I’m assuming it’s something to do with the new Tropy version I installed, but it’s also possible that it was caused by a Windows update.

Might Tropy be adding a problem-causing slash in front of the drive letter now? I notice that the error message says, failed to open /D:/Users/[…]. I don’t know enough to be sure, but that slash before D:/ looks unfamiliar (and extraneous?).

Thanks! It’s our mistake – will be working again in the next release.