forums.tropy.org

Search feature does not search tags

I have imported a small batch of images to Tropy, and have added basic metadata to all of the files. I have since added notes and tags to half a dozen images. When I try to search for specific tags, I get no results, unless the same term also appears in a descriptive note. Any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix it? I am using a PC and just upgraded to Tropy 1.0.1 (although I also encountered this issue in the most recent beta version). Thanks in advance, and thanks for creating this tool!

1 Like

This is actually on purpose: the quick search functionality searches the metadata and notes full text index; it can be combined with one or more tags (you can click and ctrl/cmd click tags in the sidebar on the left to filter by tags). Now that you mention it, though, I wonder it would make sense for us to include tag names in the search index? It’s certainly something we can consider adding.

1 Like

I assumed the quick search did include the tags based on information on the home page: “Photos can be grouped into individual research documents or objects; documents can be grouped into collections or tagged. . . . Full-text search covers all of these levels to help you find what you need.” and on the documentation site: “To search across all metadata, tags, and notes, click in the search box at the top of the item table. Type in your search term. Your results will appear in the item table.” From my perspective it would be a valuable addition. In the meantime, it might be useful to include the method you describe above in the documentation.

1 Like

Thanks for noting this discrepancy in the documentation! I’ve changed it to reflect our current search capability.

1 Like

Yes, this is a feature I would also very much appreciate. Tagging is so important to find you pictures again!