Searching with tags -- showing items' list location?

Hello. I have my images sorted into lists that are organized hierarchically according to archive location (ie. collection, box, folder). When searching by tags, is there any way to know which list (and/or lists, should I sort them differently) each item is located in? Thanks!

When you select an item and press the ‘alt’ key, all the lists containing that item will be highlighted. There’s currently no way to see all the lists of all the items at once. (But we’re always interested in good ideas how that information could be displayed in the UI.)

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. That doesn’t seem to be working for me. Is it the ‘alt’ key on its own, or in combination with another key? Using windows 10, btw.

No combination is needed. Just selecting an item (1 click, not double-click) and pressing ALT key. The list icons on the sidebar should be highlighted. I tested it on Windows 10

1 Like

Ah, ok. Didn’t understand where I had to look. I also realize I needed to explode sub-lists to see them.

Hi from Paris,
Thank you for your tremendous work !
I have exactly the same initial question than gmooney3 but not with tags, with notes.
I prepare an archive of ca. 20.000 pictures, sorted in ca. 200 lists or more : you learn me how to select persons on each picture.
When I select the person, I put his name in a note for each selection.
If I enter a name in the search frame, is it a way to see all lists where a picture with this person has been recognized ?
And then open list one after the other to see the highlighted picture, or have all these pictures available in the main window ?

When you enter the person’s name into the search field, you should see all items matching the name in their notes or metadata. If you’re interested to know all lists which have matching items, you could select all items in the search results (e.g., tab to the item table/grid and hit Cmd/Ctrl+A to select all items) – with all items selected, there’s a little square symbol that should show on each list icon, if the list includes one of the selected items, and therefore, matches the name. You can press the Alt-key in addition to flash the list icons.

When you select one of the lists, without clearing the search field, you will see only those items in the list which also match the name.