Surface Pro 10 Installation Issue

Hello!

I have a new Surface Pro 10, running Windows 10 Home edition, 64-bit OS, ARM-processor. Tropy doesn’t seem to be able to install at all. I download and run the installer, and after a couple of seconds, an error message comes up that it is unable to install Tropy. This is a just out of the box computer, so I don’t have any custom settings or anything.

Thank you for any help you could provide!

Here’s the first part of the log information (I’m a new user, and it won’t let me copy in the whole message):
2021-05-08 10:16:28> Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install .
2021-05-08 10:16:28> Program: Starting install, writing to C:\Users\cathy\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
2021-05-08 10:16:28> Program: About to install to: C:\Users\cathy\AppData\Local\tropy
2021-05-08 10:16:28> CheckForUpdateImpl: Couldn’t write out staging user ID, this user probably shouldn’t get beta anything: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path ‘C:\Users\cathy\AppData\Local\tropy\packages.betaId’.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream…ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamWriter…ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.File.InternalWriteAllText(String path, String contents, Encoding encoding, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.File.WriteAllText(String path, String contents, Encoding encoding)
at Squirrel.UpdateManager.CheckForUpdateImpl.getOrCreateStagedUserId()
2021-05-08 10:16:28> CheckForUpdateImpl: Failed to load local releases, starting from scratch: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path ‘C:\Users\cathy\AppData\Local\tropy\packages\RELEASES’.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream…ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at Squirrel.Utility.LoadLocalReleases(String localReleaseFile)
at Squirrel.UpdateManager.CheckForUpdateImpl.d__2.MoveNext()
2021-05-08 10:16:28> CheckForUpdateImpl: Reading RELEASES file from C:\Users\cathy\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
2021-05-08 10:16:28> CheckForUpdateImpl: First run or local directory is corrupt, starting from scratch
2021-05-08 10:16:29> ApplyReleasesImpl: Writing files to app directory: C:\Users\cathy\AppData\Local\tropy\app-1.9.0
2021-05-08 10:16:34> LogHost: Rigging execution stub for tropy_ExecutionStub.exe to C:\Users\cathy\AppData\Local\tropy\tropy.exe
2021-05-08 10:16:36> ApplyReleasesImpl: Squirrel Enabled Apps: [C:\Users\cathy\AppData\Local\tropy\app-1.9.0\tropy.exe]
2021-05-08 10:16:36> ApplyReleasesImpl: Couldn’t run Squirrel hook, continuing: C:\Users\cathy\AppData\Local\tropy\app-1.9.0\tropy.exe: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The specified executable is not a valid application for this OS platform.
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at Squirrel.Utility.d__11.MoveNext()

There are currently only x64 and ia32 builds available for Windows. We’ll try to include experimental arm64 builds for Windows in the upcoming release.

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly. I have an older computer that runs the program(great program!) so I’m good.

Would you (or anyone else with Windows 10 on ARM64) be interested in helping us test beta builds? The testing would not involve anything beyond installing a beta and reporting whether or not it ‘works’, maybe with additionally importing photos with specific formats.

I would be glad to help test beta builds. What do I need to do?

That’s much appreciated, thanks! I’ll be preparing a beta build in the coming days and post the instructions here.

OK, we have a preliminary beta build on Windows ARM64.

Apologies if this does not work right away, but could you try to download and install it just to see if a) the installer works and b) if Tropy starts up.

If the installer doesn’t seem to work, it’s possible that the installation worked, but that Tropy crashed at first run. So if the installation doesn’t seem to work, you can check %LOCALAPPDATA\tropy-beta to see if something was actually installed (To open this folder, just paste the path into the location bar in Windows Explorer). If there is something installed there, you can try to start Tropy manually (there should be a tropy-beta.exe there or alternatively in the app-1.10.0-beta.1 folder.

In case Tropy does not start or crashes it might be helpful to look at the log file (if one is being created). The log file should be at %APPDATA%\Tropy Beta\log.

Oh, and if Tropy Beta does not show up in the Windows Software list to uninstall, or if the uninstaller crashes, you can remove everything again by deleting the two folders %LOCALAPPDATA%\tropy-beta and %APPDATA%\Tropy Beta.

There are also some keys in the registry which are created – but if Tropy manages to do that, I think that the uninstaller should work as well.

Just a quick update: there were wrong versions of some of the included libraries in the first ARM64 build I linked to above. If I’m not mistaken, the installation probably worked, but Tropy would have crashed at start-up. I’ve just now replaced the installer with an updated version; if you haven’t downloaded the installer yet, then nothing has changed, but in case you already downloaded it, please try again with the new version. Thanks!

The Beta version is up and running smoothly on my Surface Pro X. The consolidation of the photos was smooth. I am able to use the program just as intended.

I can’t thank you enough.

I will be on vacation starting on Tuesday. and lasting until Friday the 30th.

If there is anything I can help with, please let me know

That’s great, thanks for testing! I think this is all the information we need for the time being; it was just to confirm that the cross-compilation setup produces usable builds. We’ll include arm64 in the upcoming release.

Currently, the beta and stable releases are kept separate, so in general we don’t recommend using the beta for other purposes than testing. For this reason, I’d suggest to uninstall the beta again and then install Tropy 1.10 when it’s ready.

I’ll uninstall today.

Again, many thanks