Tropy extremely slow in responding

Hello, I have just installed Tropy on my oldish but still fast IMac (MasOs High Sierra 10.13.6) and created a first project - using only about 20 photos (jpgs) to do a testrun.
However, Tropy is extremely slow in responding to both mouse and keyboard, it stalls. I have to wait for images to open. And sometimes is block while messages appear ‘consolidating photos’. Basically, it is not working. I have restarted the computer; and when this made no difference, redownloaded Tropy and reinstalled it. Same result.

My iMac does not have the same problems in other applications.

Could you post your project.log file after using Tropy for a few minutes? You can find the log files by selecting Help -> Show log files from the menu. Thanks!

Thanks for your quick response, and sorry about my delay. Here below the project logfile in two screenshots. By the way, I have noticed that by opening Tropy the whole computer slows down enormously, especially response to keyboard and mouse.
I have 8 GB working memory, and had no other programs open than Mail and Safari.

O, I am not allowed to put 2 images in, so here the top half of the project logfile. If you need more, I can reply again with the rest.

Thanks for this! Could you use Tropy for a few minutes and then copy and send me the entire file? Perhaps that will tell me more. The part above is interesting, because at first glance I can’t see anything obviously wrong. Opening and showing the project window is currently one of the slowest operations that we have not optimized yet: that seems to take less than 2 seconds, but after that most of the other operations all take less than 200ms so they do not seem to cause everything to slow down.

If you start Tropy, then close the project window (i.e., Tropy should still be active, but without any open projects) – do you observe any slowness then? How about when you then select New -> Project from the menu to open the new project window? Or is everything slow only when there is a project open?

Earlier you mentioned that ‘consolidating photos’ pops up repeatedly. Does this happen consistently? If it does, it means that Tropy cannot find your photos (at least intermittently) or that it thinks your photos have been altered and keeps importing them again. If this were to happen all the time, it might explain the slowness – but if consolidation keeps running this should also be reflected in the log file.

Finally, if you open a new project without any photos – does that also cause the computer to slow down? Or does it happen only when there are photos in the project?

Thanks again for your help!

Back again. Have tried the various things you suggested. Open Tropy but not working in it and in the background, computer does not slow down. Empty new project; can’t check because there is nothing to move around in, but computer remains normal. New project with only 4 photos in it: everything slows down. I went back to my 1st project with c. 60 photos, and upon moving around up down, opening photo by double click, making notes, etc. things slowed down so far that whole computer blocked. I had to switch off electricity. I think it was because of a time out.
Don’t quite follow why program cannot find photos, if that’s it. They are in folders per source all within main folder called images; I haven’t moved them around or renamed. them. attachment here below of project.log. Hope you can help!

project.log (13.3 KB)

Thanks! The log confirms what you describe: it takes 2 seconds to save a metadata value which is definitely not normal. Can you tell me what hard drive your iMac is using and what file system you’re using?

About the file system I am using: did you mean for the photos? Those are all jpgs organised in folders an subfolders. I haven’t tried using tiffs yet. If you meant the computer system: it is MacOs High Sierra 10.13.6. My IMac is the model of 2009, though mine is actually less old (c. 2012). Below a screenshot of the storage-hard disk information. Is this what you needed?

Thanks for your help.

Your disk uses a journaled HFS+ file system – that’s what I wanted to know, thanks!