Unable to edit metadata

Hello there!
I recently re-installed Tropy to give it another go, but I think, unfortunately, previous projects somehow messed up my current one.

Whenever I open Tropy, this error message appears:
{“msg”:“ontology.migrate”,“stack”:“TypeError: Cannot read property ‘path’ of undefined\n at /Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/db-a62f2083.js:12062:110\n at async /Applications/Tropy.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/lib/db-a62f2083.js:12062:16”,“system”:“Darwin 19.0.0 (x64)”,“time”:1605019561288,“version”:“1.8.1”}

Somehow, this (or something else) has the annoying side effect that I cannot edit any metadata whatsoever.

I’d appreciate any pointers…
Do let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!

Thanks for reporting, this is looks like something we need to fix. Meanwhile, you can probably work around it like this:

Remove the old ontology database file (which contains your vocabularies and templates); if you did not create or install custom templates or vocabularies, you can just delete the old file and Tropy should create a new one. If you did create custom templates that you would like to preserve, please let me know.

1. Select Help -> Show User-Data Folder from the menu
  2. This should open Finder; switch back to Tropy briefly to quit it via Tropy -> Quit in the menu (or Cmd+Q)
  3. With Tropy closed, locate the ontology.db file in Finder and delete it (or rename/move it if you would like to extract old templates)
  4. Start Tropy again

Alternatively, you could delete/move the entire user-data folder: this would make Tropy forget everything about your previous installation. All your project files would stay where they are, of course, but when you start Tropy again you will have to open them manually.

Deleting the entire user-data folder did the trick - what a relief. Thank you for your help!