Update problems

Hello everyone,

Thank you for creating Tropy, it is a wonderful tool for a young historian like myself.
I am facing one problem, though. Since a few weeks, Tropy asks me to do an update (either 1.0.2, 1.0.3 or 1.0.4) and to restart the software in order to do so. Even when I do so, it asks me again, and not even consistently the same version every time.

For information, I do not use MacOS, but Windows 7.
It is not so much of a problem, but I have seen that the issue have been reported for MacOS only.

Thank you so much in advance,
Camille

This does not sound right, thanks for reporting!

Is version 1.0.1 the one you currently have installed? You can see the version by opening Help -> About Tropy in the menu. If you start Tropy and the prompt comes up again, could you also select Help -> Show log files from the menu and post the main.log here? That could be useful in understanding what is going on there.

1.0.4 is the current release version of Tropy. You can also download the installer again from the homepage at any time, and install the latest version by hand, but I hope we can get auto-updates to work for you!

Hello,

Thanks for your quick answer.

So I opened Tropy today, checked the version (it shows 1.0.1) and the main.log:

{“level”:“info”,“message”:“logger initialized at level verbose”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-01-16T12:57:21.880Z”}
{“level”:“info”,“message”:“starting 1.0.1”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-01-16T12:57:21.880Z”}
{“level”:“verbose”,“message”:“started in production mode”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-01-16T12:57:21.880Z”}
{“level”:“verbose”,“message”:“using C:\Users\Bajeuxc\AppData\Roaming\Tropy”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-01-16T12:57:21.880Z”}
{“level”:“verbose”,“message”:“app state restored”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-01-16T12:57:23.361Z”}
{“level”:“info”,“message”:“ready after 1721ms”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-01-16T12:57:23.361Z”}
{“level”:“verbose”,“message”:“opening C:\Users\Bajeuxc\Documents\Thèse.tpy…”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-01-16T12:57:23.361Z”}
{“level”:“verbose”,“message”:“checking for updates…”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-01-16T12:58:23.372Z”}
{“level”:“info”,“message”:“updates available”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-01-16T12:58:24.563Z”}
{“level”:“info”,“message”:“update 1.0.3 ready”,“label”:“main”,“timestamp”:“2018-01-16T12:59:40.173Z”}

When I do the update required (either 1.0.3 or 1.0.4), I have the version updated, but I guess that it changes whenever I close the software and I go back to 1.0.1.

I’ve also noticed that sometimes I upload photos, work on them for a few days, and they become corrupted. It looks weird to me as I upload different photos taken the same day (and therefore which have a similar size) but only some of them become corrupted.

Thanks in advance !

For some reason the update itself seems to fail for you. Since you are on Windows 7, can you tell me which version of the .NET framework you have installed? Alternatively, you can download and install the latest version directly from Microsoft.

Otherwise, you can also try to just download the latest version of Tropy from tropy.org and re-installing it manually (that alone might not fix updates in the future though).

Regarding the corrupted photos: my guess is that you moved the photos after importing them into Tropy? Future versions will be able to track such movement, but currently you’ll have to tell Tropy again where to find the photos if you move them. You can do that by right-clicking on a photo with the exclamation mark and selecting ‘Consolidate photo’ and, when prompted select the photo again from its new location. Also see this post for an advanced method to update paths if you’ve moved many photos.

What is .NET framework and how can I know which version do I have?
For the photos, yes, I moved them. I thought Tropy would save them, I did not know it was referring to a specific location for the photos, it’s my bad.

Thank you very much for the help!