Updating from 1.20 beta 0 to 1,82 beta 1

SQlite-cantopen
when i remove 1.82 and install. the old one everything is still working

Can you try to install 1.8.2 stable, not the beta, and manually open your project file there? If you added any custom vocabularies or templates I can help you move them to the stable version, but unless there’s a good reason, I’d recommend against using the beta for day-to-day work.

i dit install 1.8.2. stable when i make a new project tropy crashed, whwn i click on a tpy file i get the same SQlite_cantopen fault

OK, let’s try to tackle these issues separately. First, when you just install 1.8.2, start it and create a new project, it crashes you say. Did it crash while creating the project or afterwards when opening the newly created project? When in doubt, can you try this again, and find the tropy.log file (from after the crash) and post it here. You can find the log file via Help -> Show log files from the menu. In the new project window on Linux and Windows you may need to hold the Alt key for the menu to become visible.

Once 1.8.2 works on you computer for a new project we can look opening your existing projects there (and migrating any data over from the beta if necessary).

No it crashes after when i open the new project

this is the log file:

{“level”:30,“time”:1610608393596,“type”:“browser”,“name”:“main”,“args”:[],“opts”:{“version”:“1.8.2”,“data”:“C:\Users\pwaag\AppData\Roaming\Tropy”,“cache”:“C:\Users\pwaag\AppData\Roaming\Tropy\cache”,“logs”:“C:\Users\pwaag\AppData\Roaming\Tropy\log”,“env”:“production”,“autoUpdates”:true,“webgl”:false,“debug”:false,“trace”:false},“version”:“1.8.2”,“msg”:“main.init 1.8.2 Windows_NT 10.0.19042 (x64)”}
{“level”:30,“time”:1610608393670,“type”:“browser”,“name”:“main”,“msg”:“plugins scanned: 0”}
{“level”:30,“time”:1610608393674,“type”:“browser”,“name”:“main”,“msg”:“app state restored”}
{“level”:30,“time”:1610608393797,“type”:“browser”,“name”:“main”,“msg”:“ready after 2833.52392578125ms”}
{“level”:30,“time”:1610608394764,“type”:“renderer”,“name”:“wizard”,“dpx”:3,“opts”:{“aqua”:false,“contrast”:false,“dark”:false,“env”:“production”,“documents”:“C:\Users\pwaag\Documents”,“maximizable”:false,“minimizable”:false,“pictures”:“C:\Users\pwaag\Sjablonen\Roaming\Pictures”,“scrollbars”:true,“theme”:“light”,“data”:“C:\Users\pwaag\AppData\Roaming\Tropy”,“debug”:false,“dev”:false,“cache”:“C:\Users\pwaag\AppData\Roaming\Tropy\cache”,“plugins”:“C:\Users\pwaag\AppData\Roaming\Tropy\plugins”,“fontSize”:“13px”,“frameless”:false,“level”:“info”,“locale”:“en”,“log”:“C:\Users\pwaag\AppData\Roaming\Tropy\log\tropy.log”,“uuid”:“ab89ec40-55b0-11eb-a289-ab35cfb3f2c5”,“update”:{},“version”:“1.8.2”,“webgl”:true,“zoom”:1},“msg”:“wizard.init”}
{“level”:30,“time”:1610608394835,“type”:“renderer”,“name”:“wizard”,“msg”:“plugins scanned: 0”}
{“level”:30,“time”:1610608394835,“type”:“renderer”,“name”:“wizard”,“msg”:“plugins loaded: 0”}
{“level”:30,“time”:1610608395239,“type”:“renderer”,“name”:“wizard”,“msg”:“wizard ready 1484ms [dom:1030ms win:50ms req:118ms]”}
{“level”:30,“time”:1610608402077,“type”:“renderer”,“name”:“wizard”,“msg”:“creating new project peter in C:\Users\pwaag\Documents\peter.tpy”}
{“level”:30,“time”:1610608402080,“type”:“renderer”,“name”:“wizard”,“mode”:“w+”,“msg”:“open db C:\Users\pwaag\Documents\peter.tpy”}
{“level”:40,“time”:1610608402099,“type”:“browser”,“name”:“main”,“msg”:“wizard[1] render-process crashed: killed”}

Thank you! The log suggests, that the project creation fails (the crash occurs as we try to open the file for creating the initial database). Is the peter.tpy being created in your Documents folder at all? If the file is created and is not blank (i.e., has more than 0 byte size), could you post the file here?

If you delete the peter.tpy file (if it exists) and then start Tropy again, does it open the empty project window? If it does, could you try to open a copy of one of your existing projects (to be extra safe, I would recommend making a copy first, instead of opening the original file) – does that cause a crash or the the “can’t open” error? In any case, please post the log file again after these steps. Thanks!

there is no file Peter.tpy and it opens the empty project window

when i open an existing file from the document directory i get the can’t open error but when i replace the file end then open the file all is working.
The documents directory is only reading i think that is the problem, but i can’t change that

Just to be clear, your Documents folder is read-only? This is likely the issue, although Tropy should handle this more gracefully; we actually added a read-only mode for this reason, but maybe there is an issue with the Windows file system. Which file system do you use and how do you set the the Documents folder to read-only? I’ll try to reproduce this setup to see if we can avoid fix the crash.

Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64
the strange thing is that i can read and write to the documents folder bud when i look at the
the characteristics the read only is on.
I don’t set the documents folder to read only

I know the problem, there is in windows 10 protection againts ransomware i put it off and all is working in a normal way

Thanks

Is this Windows 10 controlled folders? In that case, it looks like it should be possible to add Tropy to the list of trusted apps, giving it permissions to write to the Documents folder.

Another possibility, of course, is to store your project files in an uncontrolled folder; Tropy does not need them to be in the Documents folder, but obviously it needs full write access to the file.

Yes i had giving the tropy app permission to de documents folder , now it’s woking well
Thanks