Updating Tropy from 1.5.2 to 1.11.0

Hello,

I have a question about updates with Tropy. I installed version 1.5.2 several years ago, but I can’t get the software to update, and it doesn’t offer me automatic updates. Is there any way to easily upgrade to 1.11.0 or to enable automatic updates?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Hi,
Tropy should actually update automatically by default. Which OS version are you using?

And can you check that the auto updates are enabled? In your user data-folder there is a state.json file, within that file "updater" should be set to true.

In case you don’t know how to find the user-data folder select Help > Show User-Data Folder in Tropy’s app menu.

Thank you very much for your help!

I’m using Ubuntu 18.04.6. I think I found the updater file, and it is set to true (it says : {“frameless”:false,“debug”:true,“theme”:“light”,“recent”:["/home/juliette/Documents/Doc.tpy","/home/juliette/Documents/Thèse.tpy"],“updater”:true,“webgl”:true,“win”:{“bounds”:{“x”:195,“y”:55,“width”:1419,“height”:950}},“zoom”:1,“locale”:“fr”,“uuid”:“31858010-a28a-11e9-a2eb-a93a28f888ed”,“version”:“1.5.2”})

I don’t know if I can do anything ?

Automatic updates are currently available only on macOS and Windows builds. On Linux ideally, we’d like to ship packages using the distribution’s package managers; we might enable automatic updates for the AppImage or the upcoming flatpak builds, but to update the tarball, you need to download the new version manually and replace the existing one.

I’ve installed Tropy to /opt/tropy so when a new version is ready, I download it and replace the full /opt/tropy directory. You normally don’t need to update the icons, mime-types and desktop files, but since there have been a lot of changes since 1.5 it might be a good idea to follow all the steps in the INSTALL file.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for that, I’m going to try this!

Hey, I’m using Tropy on Mac OS (M1 chip) and it hasn’t updated automatically. I just checked and I still have version 1.9.0. I also checked the state.json file and updater is set to true.

Can I download the dmg release on GitHub and install the new version over this one?

Thanks in advance!

@SantiG yes, you can do that.

1 Like

1.9.0 was our first release for the M1 CPUs and had auto-updating deactivated. You can just download the 1.11.0 ARM64 version and it should automatically update going forward.