A template for works of art (paintings, sculptures, architectures...) and for archive documents (architectural drawings, etc... ). Does it exists?

Hi,

I’m an art history undergraduate student and I would like to organise the images I work on in other ways than a simple folder and a excel spreadsheet as I am still doing by now, that’s why I found Tropy.

I basically need to organise images about works of art like paintings, sculptures, architectures, engravings, drawings, but also images about architectural drawings and other documents.

I don’t see how to use Tropy default templates to do that, and I don’t have a clue about how to use the correct properties when creating a custom one. I would like to organise my image base on some already existing schema and with correct vocabularies, using some international, European, French or Italian standards. Does someone have a template or does someone have some advices concerning the properties to use to build? Can I integrate a thesaurus like the French INHA ( URL : https://thesaurus.inha.fr/thesaurus/) ones or the French ministry of Culture (URL : http://data.culture.fr/thesaurus/) ones in order to give proper names to periods, artists, buildings, architectural elements, etc… ?

Hi,

you are on the right track with the thesauri you posted. Ideally you’d simply download the Notation3 files at the bottom of the vocabulary pages and import them into Tropy. Unfortunately, these thesauri make use of features that are not fully implemented in Tropy for the time being. We are aware of this issue and are eager to make this work as soon as possible.

You may also have a look at this thread: Tropy for catalog of Individual Artist works?. The Getty Vocabularies might be of interest to you: Getty Vocabularies (Getty Research Institute). But again, Tropy does not support all features yet and some of those vocabularies are still work in progress. The Getty Vocabulary Program ontology is available here: Linked Open Vocabularies. It should e.g. provide the terms that are being used in the Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT).

1 Like