Installing Tropy on Ubuntu 17.10

Hello community!

Would anyone be willing to walk me through installing Tropy on Ubuntu 17.10? I’m not entirely sure how to do he steps on the install file via the command line.

Thank you!

Best,
Lisa

We’re still figuring out best practices for the Linux installation (it’s tricky, because there are so many distros and tastes…), but in the meantime I’m happy to share my own setup.

Before I start, please note that you don’t actually need to ‘install’ Tropy on Linux.

1. Download the latest version from https://tropy.org/download/linux
  2. Unpack the .tar.bz2 archive; this should give you a folder with a name like tropy-1.1.2-x64.
  3. In the folder above, there is tropy binary; if you execute this file Tropy will start.

However, it’s much better to install Tropy to a sane location and integrate it into your desktop. For this, you need to pick a location where you want Tropy to be on your system. Personally, I install it to /opt but you could pick any location (e.g., ~/opt or even ~/tropy if you don’t have root rights, for example). I’ll be assuming /opt in the steps below.

1. Download the latest version of Tropy to your Downloads folder.
  2. Open a Terminal
  3. Run sudo mkdir /opt/tropy to create the directory where you want to install tropy (depending on where that is you may not need sudo for this).
  4. Install Tropy into the folder you just created: sudo tar xjf ~/Downloads/tropy-1.1.2-x64.tar.bz2 -C /opt/tropy
  5. Add /opt/tropy to your PATH. There are different ways to do this, but for example: echo "export PATH=\$PATH:/opt/tropy" >> ~/.bashrc
  6. At this point you should be able to run tropy in the Terminal and it should start.

Additionally, you can integrate it into your Desktop.

1. Install Tropy’s icons: cp -r /opt/tropy/icons ~/.local/share/
  2. Install Tropy’s mime-type info: cp -r /opt/tropy/mime ~/.local/share/
  3. Install the Tropy.desktop file: cp /opt/tropy/tropy.desktop ~/.local/applications/

Now Tropy should show up in your Application menu and the Tropy icon should show up when you start Tropy.

Thanks for these instructions very helpful!

I have only run into trouble getting tropy installed on the desktop. My terminal says: cp: cannot create regular file: cp /opt/tropy/tropy.desktop ~/.local/applications/

But I was able to get it running from the terminal! Looking forward to testing it out.

Thank you!

Lisa

Thank you!

Lisa

Oh, it’s possible that you need to create the folder ~/.local/applications first.